Disclaimer:

~The views and opinions expressed here are of the blog author and not necessarily of CCAPSG as a whole~

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Angels Part 2

Continuing on from the last post about Angels...

What else can we learn about angels from the bible?

From Christianity.about.com

Angels have a knowledge of, and an interest in the affairs of men:

Luke 15:10
"Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents."

Angels are faster than man:

Daniel 9:21
... while I was still in prayer, Gabriel, the man I had seen in the earlier vision, came to me in swift flight about the time of the evening sacrifice.

Revelation 14:6
And I saw another angel flying through the sky, carrying the eternal Good News to proclaim to the people who belong to this world—to every nation, tribe, language, and people.

They are not meant to be worshipped:

Revelation 19:10
And I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, “See that you do not do that! I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren who have the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.”

Angels can be invisible:

Job 4:15-18
Then a spirit passed before my face;
The hair on my body stood up.
It stood still,
But I could not discern its appearance.
A form was before my eyes;
There was silence;
Then I heard a voice saying:
‘Can a mortal be more righteous than God?
Can a man be more pure than his Maker?
If He puts no trust in His servants,
If He charges His angels with error ...

(Sounds like what happens when people feel the presence of a spirit right?)

Angels have a will:

Isaiah 14:12-14
How you have fallen from heaven,
O morning star, son of the dawn!
You have been cast down to the earth,
you who once laid low the nations!
You said in your heart,
"I will ascend to heaven;
I will raise my throne
above the stars of God;
I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly,
on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain.
I will ascend above the tops of the clouds;
I will make myself like the Most High."

They feel emotion:

Job 38:7
... while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy? (NIV)

1 Peter 1:12
It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves but you, when they spoke of the things that have now been told you by those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven. Even angels long to look into these things.

Most angels remained faithful to God:

Revelation 5:11-12
Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. In a loud voice they sang: "Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!"

To me, its amazing how many times angels are mentioned in the bible and yet angels are hardly mentioned in the churches I've attended (except for at Christmas). I wonder why this is? Is it a fear of ridicule from non-believers? Or is it that with the realisation of the existence of angels comes the realisation of the existence of demons?

What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment